Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spring Frogs

I woke up with a start when the alarm went off and seemed to stay that way all day long. Feeling anxious and drawn in tight. Combined with a day at work that felt both unproductive and frustrating it meant I arrived at the Dharma Center anxious.

I hate sitting zazen when I'm anxious. Near the top of "most uncomfortable meditation periods" list.

Instead I sat down, awaiting the racing of my heart, heard the bell ring 3 times, then silence, and a chorus of frogs reminding me something I love about springtime zazen! My mind settled swiftly and softly, occasional bursts of anxiety creeping in during the first sit, but then the frogs would sing again and I'd feel myself smile inside. By the time the second sit came I felt like I was in my body instead of my anxiety.
Vernal Chorus

Outside the zendo
A choir of frogs is singing,
"Wake up! Wake up now!"

No comments:

Post a Comment