In spring of 2008 I took these first vows. CK was there, as she was when I completed a women's retreat at the beginning of 2008. These moments had the feeling of great importance when they happened. It feels very deeply right and wonderful that she will be taking the first five precepts when I am taking Jukai. The first five vows we'll say together.
I did not post what I've already written about the first five of the Grave Precepts. I have just posted them now and will be revisiting them in current writing. These are not tasks we check off and move onto the next step towards Enlightenment, rather they are part of our continuous practice. Like zazen, like asana, like the breath.
The Ten Grave Precepts
- Affirm life. Do not kill.
- Be giving. Do not steal.
- Honor the body. Do not misuse sexuality.
- Manifest truth. Do not lie.
- Proceed clearly. Do not cloud the mind.
- See the perfection. Do not speak of others' errors and faults.
- Realize self and others as one. Do not elevate the self and blame others.
- Give generously. Do not be withholding.
- Actualize harmony. Do not be angry.
- Experience the intimacy of things. Do not defile the Three Treasures.
- Taking refuge in the Buddha.
- Taking refuge in the Dharma.
- Taking refuge in the Sangha.
- Do not create evil.
- Practice good.
- Actualize good for others.